How To Protect Your Facebook Account From Being Hacked

I've actually been getting calls from friends and blog readers lately that their accounts and that of their friends are being hacked. This unethical trend just skyrocketed this year. It's very annoying.



I've also gotten a mail from Facebook previously that said that someone requested to change my password.

We all know that the perpetrators of these crimes are usually internet fraudsters (g-boys) looking for old accounts that they feel Facebook cannot block when they're carrying out their fraudulent business online.

One day, you may actually decide to check up on your friend on Facebook, then you'll end up seeing a white man or lady in an account that you're very certain that it was your friends account.

I've come up with a couple of ways to protect your Facebook account, please don't forget to share this to friends as well.

1. Anti-Phishing Techniques

Phishing is the easiest trick in any hackers arsenal or weaponry. All it needs is for the victim to click on a link and log with in their original details on a fake page. here's an example of one link someone sent to me.



If you're still logged in to Facebook and a link requests that you type in your Facebook details again, do not do that. There's a high chance your details will be stolen once you type in your details on the page. This is quite different from the pages that ask you to log in with Facebook and requests access to your account.


2. Verify and Update Your Account Details

Most people feel this is not necessary but It's very important. I woke up this morning and tried to log in to my account via a browser and I was asked to verify my identity with my number. I'm like okay that shouldn't be a problem until I saw the number I was asked to verify. A number I hadn't used in years.



I remembered that I was still logged in on the main Facebook app on my device so I quickly went to my profile > about me and deleted the old number entirely from the account.

I'm still wondering why Facebook will actually tell me to verify my identity with a number that isn't active.

The only logical explanation is that someone was messing with my account and Facebook had to lock it down till my identity was verified.

If you have an email address, make sure to add it to your account and also update your phone number as well.


Use Your Real Name On Your Account

Let's assume that the damage done to your account was extremely bad. Facebook might decide to ask you to upload an ID. If your name on Facebook is Mhiz Slay Donkey, which kind of ID do you think will unlock the account. Using your real name on Facebook has numerous advantages.

2FA Protection

Two Factor Authentication. This is the last resort but pretty much secure though. In this case, Facebook sends you a link or pin anytime you log in to your account to verify your identity. You can then click the link or input the pin on the log in page.

The only downside of this is that you may not be able to log in to your account anytime you lose your phone number or 2FA Device.


So that's pretty much everything I think you need to know. Stay Safe.


Powered by Blogger.